Sunday, June 2, 2013

K's meals

K has been with us for a week and as you've seen K is doing well.  So far she's not had an accident in the house, she crates magnificently, she gets along great with our dogs, she doesn't bark and she's not hyperactive.  In these ways she's a very easy dog.  Where she needs on going support is around her trusting humans.  It's very clear she wants to be around us but, continues to be conflicted.   She has made huge progress from last week and we are still a work in progress...
 
We've reached the point where we are able to hand feed K - meaning she will take food from our hands.  So, to reinforce us humans as being trustful, we are hand feeding K her meals.  This is a great way to work on building connection with any dog.  And really it doesn't take much time but the payoffs are huge.
 
Below you can see me feeding K her breakfast.  Notice that I go back and forth between still tossing the kibble to seeing if she will take it from my hand.  By tossing the kibble it takes pressure of her having to get close to me for the duration of the meal.  You can also see she's more comfortable with me, her tail is wagging, her body isn't as rigid as the video I posted last week were I was just tossing the kibble to her.
 
K is a gem - she just needs time and patience from the humans around her. 
 
K breakfast


 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment