Thursday, May 16, 2013

Syncline's first leash walk

These video's and pictures were from last Saturday and you will see that Syncline does pretty good on a leash.  Which is impressive given I doubt before foster care, that she'd ever worn a harness or even walked on leash.
 
My Catty is dog reactive so we always intro a new foster by going for a walk.  This helps to get the dogs (who are usually both anxious) moving and we work towards a side by side walk.  If I introduced a dog head to head with Catty it would not work as she's a fearful dog who reacts with her teeth.  And a face to face/head to head greeting is awful and can create instant chaos for a variety of reasons.  So this method is a nice intro for both dogs.  After so many fosters Catty seems to know the drill and there were no issue between her and Syncline. 
 
So, off we go.  I started Syncline with a regular leash hooked to the front of her harness.  As you can see she was pulling. 



I switched leashes with Catty, putting the 2 point of contact and Syncline and tada - no pulling at all.  Over the next couple of day I had Syncline walking on a 2 point leash and we did progress to a single point of contact leash.  I would recommend that if your dog is a puller or just doesn't seem balanced while walking go buy yourself a 2 point leash - it quickly makes a huge difference for the dog and you too!


It was hot on Saturday and Catty wanted to stop for breaks.... funny girl!

 
 
Cute little rattie girls
Syncline says "That was a ton of fun"
 
I will tell you that Syncline likes to walk, walk and walk!  She's the first foster we've had in a good while who can keep up with my Catty girl who is a walking fiend.



No comments:

Post a Comment