Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Part 5 - Using force free training to work through the dreaded nail trim

 
So I've been trying to figure out how to work up to cutting Catty's back nails.  The first thing I needed to figure out was how to get her to stay standing up without any restraint from me.  I tried a couple of different way to do that and was fairly unsuccessful.  I needed to figure out how to make a game of it.

So, I pulled out our small balance disc. What I really wanted was a solid non-skid slightly elevated pad.  So, I ordered one but instead of waiting for it to arrive we started working with the disc which is great body work for Catty!

"What game are we playing today?!"
I started out with luring Catty over the disc and then rewarded her when just her back feet were on the the disc.    As you can see it's a bit messy looking at first and that's ok. I'm just working to help her figure out what I'm asking for - back feet on the disc.


She's a smart girl and figuring it out pretty quickly. 

I toss a treat away so that she will reset herself by going and getting the treat and then coming back to try the behavior.



We are now fading out the lure since she's figured out what I'm asking for.



Good job Catty!!



Once she consistently gave me her back two feet on the disc it was time to introduce touch.




And we have touch on both back feet while she's standing!








Catty is a very busy and smart rattie. I recently read an article How to Train a "Crazy" Dog! and it certainly hits home when I think about Catty and our work together. While Catty isn't over the top crazy she is a dog that needs lots of mind and body stimulation.

Once we get our new surface to work on we will transition from the disc to the square. Then we will work on her offering her back feet and then the nail clip!

All of this will be for another post down the road. You may be asking "Why??".  Well, we have a new foster arriving so time to get posting about his sweet self!



No comments:

Post a Comment