Monday, July 21, 2014

Part 2 - Using force free training to work through the dreaded nail trim

Catty is ready to work at this new game!
 
 
She's an A+ student and teacher
 
We kept working on building trust with her placing her paw in my hand.  She's doing super!
 
 
 
 
Next, it's time to introduce the clippers (no clipping).  And there are a couple of trainer errors in this clip.  The two main errors are my rate of reinforcement along with the lack of marking each behavior I'm asking of her.  She saying "You're confusing me AND you are not paying me well enough for this work".  Watch her reactions to me.  She becomes hesitant and starts losing interest in the game.
 
 
 
 
Now, watch her here!  Once I realize the above mistake I then give her high reinforcement. Meaning I'm paying her well for her work.  Look at the difference in her. She's engaged having fun and wanting to work for her reward.  I'm still asking too much of her by putting all of the behaviors into one chain - rather than marking each behavior. But, she does pretty well with that and I will readjust! 
 
 
 
 
This is an excellent blog post that again speaks to my work with Catty: 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment