Thursday, July 18, 2013

TTouch fun!

This past Saturday D'light and I had the pleasure of atteding another TTouch workshop with Lori Stevens. This is our 5th TTouch workshop with Lori and yet again it was simply amazing!

This seminar was specific to senior dogs and both about the power of touch and body wraps to bring back awareness to tired achy limbs, but also the importance of conditioning for our aging furry family members. 
D'light volunteered showing off how much he loves Lori and touch.  This was a big audience for him - over 30 people watching him. 
A year ago this would have been way to much for him to handle. He has Lori to thank for the progress he's made.  Along the way she's taught me a ton which I appreciate more than she will ever know.
D'light was a goof ball - really I shouldn't be practicing touches while he's on his back but, I humored him and everyone thought he was just adorable (which he is!). 
Here I am practicing the "Turtle" touch. This is D'light's favorite touch!

He was in heaven with all the touch
 
What a face - D'light was not happy when the exercise was over. He wouldn't get up and just wanted more touch.  It's crazy, this is a dog who could not tolerate touch - now he can't get enough of it.

This workshop drew some pretty amazing folks - other top drawer rescues folks in attendance were:  Old Dog Haven, Tacoma Human Society, Paws, German Shepard Rescue as well as some other smaller rescue groups.  Pretty awesome considering, like us, they too are volunteers.  And then there were some amazing positive trainers in attendance as well.  It was a great group!
 
Another bonus of the workshop was spending it with two other New Rattitude foster parents.  To read their experience of the workshop check out their blog posts:
 
 
 
Speaking of Skip - he's a total sweetheart and he spent some time warming my lap which was a real treat for me.  Skip is a rescue boy who had a really rough life before his parents rescued him.  He's come along ways thanks to his parents dedication to him.
 
Sweet Skip
 
Skip really love the touches and I'm guessing he was happy his mom brought him along.  I know I was!
 
 And then a big surprise - my past foster boy Boushey arrived with his mom! 
 
Boushey getting relaxed and sleepy from his moms new touch skills

Boushey says "I'm ready for more!"

Speaking of more... D'light wanted more touch and he was pushing up against NR foster parent Janell. This is when we call him D'mand! 

Janell was kind enough work her touch magic

Here you can see him bugging Janell.  He just kept pushing into her - this went on and on and on!  I just shook my head and chuckled.  I love seeing him seeking out so much touch. Thank you to Janell for giving my boy the loving touch.

 
The dogs were relaxed and pooped out.

Skip in a relaxed state of mind and body

Boushey out like a light
 
People ask if I wrap my dogs and yes I do!  They both get wrapped & we do movement work at least 3 times a week.  We also pepper in bodywork pretty much daily.  If a new foster is coming into the house I wrap both Catty and D'light to reduce their anxiety and stress.  It's worked wonders for my pups and I'm a true believer in all that is TTouch.   
 
The components of TTouch include:
1) Bodywork - gentle, non-invasive and non-habitual pressure touch
2) Equipment and Tools - these bring awareness and change to animals
3) Movement work - this builds confidence, improves focus & encourages balance (mental, physical & emotional)
 
All wrapped up
Catty wrapped and moving!

While my personal dogs are not yet seniors, we do conditioning to strengthen there backend, work their core and it's fun exercise and training for all of us.  I'm lucky enough that I get to take Catty and D'light to see Lori. Both my dogs adore her and stay tuned to see the condition exercise for both ratties! 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment