Sunday, December 15, 2013

Soos and touch

Soos is an interesting little guy.  At times, he's unsure about humans and you can see he wants to connect with us.   

So, we slowly bend down (not over him) to see how he responds.  As you can see he comes in closer. When he moved in, I just waited to see what he was going to do next.


 
He didn't move away so, I put the palm of my hand under his chin. He placed his muzzle onto my hand which was interesting.
 
 
  So, I decided to do some very calming mouth work with him.  Using my finger tips to slowly and gently stroke his muzzle and mouth.

Thank you to the TTouch work I've learned over time!  Here's a link back to
Dandy's TTouch journey: ear & face work
 


He went into a very calm state, he seemed to fall asleep.

I slowly moved my hand up to do some ear strokes with him.  He was in heaven!  His eyes continued to stay closed and his body was very relaxed.  We did this for a good 10 minutes and I'm guessing he would have continued for much longer.
 

Based on what we are seeing of Soos, as he opens up I'm guessing we are going to have a touch hog on our hands.  I say this in a very postive way, it's lovely when a dog choses to seek out touch for comfort, love and care! 






2 comments:

  1. Hmm...I wish Boo could be a little bit shy like Soos. Obviously, Boo is a commander of our household.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well.. I question how long Soos will be a shy boy :) Now that he knows how to play fetch he may become a ball boy like Boo! And lets face it -- all rat terriers are commaders of the household.

      Delete