Thursday, April 25, 2013

Gramercy sporting new gear - Part 2 of 2

While working on getting your pup and you walking in balance, I believe that both dogs and the human benefit from using a 2 point of contact leash.  Leash walking isn't easy and anyone who tells you it is well, they haven't walked with enough dogs!  By using the below gear, it provides the human and dog to work together on improving this skill set. Another bonus is the increase in communication and connection between the two of you!  This will  make a walk more enjoyable for everyone.

The wonder walker harness has the ability to use 2 points of contact - a ring on the front of the harness and a ring that sits on the center of the dogs back. So as you can see Gramercy's leash clips both rings.

 
First couple steps with the 2 point of contact leash.  As I slow down, he slows down -- we are starting to communicate with each other...  notice no leash pulling from Gramercy or me.
 

 
 In this fast paced world I think most of us tend to walk our dog(s) in a hurry, usually not paying attention to our dog (by being on our phones or listening to music).  What we fail to remember that walking with our dog is like a dance - we are moving together and communicating through the leash with each other.  AND it takes practice.  If we slow down, reduce the distractions and pay attention to what's going on with our dog, we can learn a lot.  Once I ditched my phone/music I found these walks very calming & I began to learn more about the dog I was with. 

Taking a break to enjoy the sun & watching the birds

 
My experience has been that I personally feel more connected to the dog on a 2 point of contact leash. I have more ability to maneuver with the dog on this leash and it truly feels better for the dog and me. When I first tried out this configuration - it was with Catty. I will say that I struggled given my lack of leash handling skills.  Catty caught on my quicker than me - this is often the case!  But, once I figured it out - it's became pretty comfortable for me.
 
You may be asking - "Do you always walk your dogs with this set up of leash and harness?"  My answers is that it depends on a lot of different things.  I rarely walk D'light in a 2 point leash because he and I walk so well, we are very tuned into each other.  When I walk Catty alone I have her in a 2 point leash to work on her reactivity. I find that she's calmer when walking in this set up.  Sometimes when I'm walking both Catty and D'light together I will switch Catty back and forth from the 1 to 2 contact - just depends on where we are, then time of day and my state of mind.  
 
Wanna learn more about Walking in Balance?  Here's a great DVD on Walking in Balance by TTouch practioner Lori Stevens  and Lori is teaching her Walking in Balance Workshop on May19th out on Vashon Island, Washington.  I attended this workshop last year and it was great! 
 
Here's those blog posts:
 
"I love these walks"
 
 Gramercy walking well and we are having a good time together!  It's not easy video taping and walking -- there's those distractions again...
 
 
 
What a good looking boy!
  
Riding in D'light's soft crate
 
 
All zipped up and away we go off to the next adventure!
 
 


3 comments:

  1. Two questions:

    What size Wonder Walker is he using? We've been thinking of getting one for our small dog, and she's about his size and length.

    And, are you using two leashes, or a splitter? I like that ieea a lot. Mary is okay on leash, but a lot of pulling and cutting back and forth and behind - I'd like to curb that more.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for my delayed response, thing have been hectic! Anyway Gramercy is wearing a size XS but, after he loses a pound he could fit into a size "toy". If you are in Seattle and go to one of the All The Best stores, they will help you fit the wonder walker. With the leash, the one I have has a clip on each end of the leash. So it's not a spliter. Halti makes one of these leashes http://www.amazon.com/The-Company-Of-Animals-Training/dp/B00589G9YY/ref=sr_1_3?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1367359594&sr=1-3&keywords=Halti+Training+Lead+Black

      Delete