Sunday, May 11, 2014

How's Royal doing?

Royal has been on anti-anxiety medication for a couple days shy of a month.  The medication in conjunction with force free training and counter conditioning/desensitization has been working really well.  When we are home, Royal is no longer wearing belly bands and he's generally more relaxed and comfortable in the house.    
Good looking boys!
One thing with recording our foster dogs is that we can look back to see their progress.  The below videos are of Royal 1.5 weeks into our care. You can see how he would startle with different noises in the house and my body movements towards him.  I've never experienced a dog that was so scared of the noise in the house.
 
 Royal startling 1 - he was uncomfortable with my hand movements and of me tossing a treat and the treat hitting the floor.
 
 Royal startling 2 - he's uncomfortable with the squeaking of my shoe.
 
Now fast forward to yesterday and he's a different dog!   You can't see me but, you can hear me and I am moving around in a very animated way.  Royal says no problem and joins in!



Look at his tail position - it's not tucked or hooked which has been typical in the house.  

And more fun times!  Silly rattie boy and I love how he calms himself down quickly and goes into that beautiful sit with lovely eye contact.  Royal is a dog that connects very deeply with his person. And yes, Royal loves to go for walks.
 


Ready to go
 
Lovely Royal
 
So, Royal still needs ongoing work with his indoor noise sensitivity but, he's now on a great path forward.   I have no doubt with ongoing force free training, counter conditioning/detestation & medication Royal is going to blossom into an even more amazing boy!
 
I personally think Royal is an amazing dog.  He's taught me a ton and reminded me that every dog is unique.  I will always be grateful with how he has touched my life and that we've made progress helping him to be all he wants to be.
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment