Saturday, August 2, 2014

Seven works on Targeting - Part 2 of Meal Time = Training Time!

In case you missed Part 1 of this series here it is:  Meal Time = Training Time! Part 1

Before we get started on showing our new skill - here's an excellent article Chill Out, Roger! How Clicker Training Helped One Dog Move from Crazy to Calm that gives you some insight into why positive training - the use of clicker training works so well with all dogs.  Especially smart, independent terriers.


Our first new skill is called Targeting. 
 
Why teach this? Well first off it's easy and fun for the dog and human.  And then we get into the fact that it quickly helps a dog to focus on you and works on impulse control.  Also if you are new to clicker training this is an easy marker that can improve the human's clicking ability. 

Targeting also works well with fearful dogs like our past foster girl K - here's her post K continues to work


I opted to teach targeting using my hand - you can use lots of things as a target.  Here's a great link that explains  How to Teach Targeting and expands on all the useful things you can do with your dog once he can target.
 
This was Seven's first session of targeting - we did this using his breakfast meal (roughly 53 pieces of kibble).  Some folks say "It takes to long - that's why I feed out of a bowl" and I say that not true as this took us under 4 minutes to work through his 53 pieces. 

Oh, for some of you did that number 53 stir up something in your brain? No doubt it had you thinking of Force Free trainer Kathy Sdao's SMARTx50 method!  You will see more about this in coming posts.

This is an amazing book and everyone should read it!
 
For those of you new to this information:

A marker is a signal that provides essential information to the dog and person.  The marker pinpoints the exact behavior that produces the reward (usually food).  The maker serves as a conditioned positive reinforcer and that strengthens the behavior it coincides with.**  The marker is usual a verbal "yes"/"yip" or the click of the clicker.


Little Seven is super smart!  I'm using the marker "Yip" instead of a clicker. 
 

Seven is an excitable little guy as you can see.  So when he's giving me a behavior I'm not wanting (jumping)  I just ignore that behavior.  You don't hear me yell at him or tell him no - I just move away and start setting up the opportunity that will allow me to reinforce Seven for the behavior I'm looking for.      
 
I swear you can see his brain working with those mini jumps.  I put my hand out and then if he doesn't give me the behavior I'm asking for -  I take my hand away and try again with asking for touch.

I'm practicing what Kathy Sdao talks about in her above book "Reinforce behaviors you like; remove reinforcement for behaviors you dislike". 

He figures it out very quickly - smart boy! 


 
Something that I think a lot of people miss with training is that they see it as a chore or only for dogs that have severe behavioral issues.  They don't see it a fun game that builds and strengths the relationship between the human and the dog.  It also increases confidence in the dog and human.  I find that just some very basic training/skill building creates a rapid connection with the dog in front of me.  We are able to build trust quicker and we learn a common language via force free training using a marker.
 
Training shouldn't be thought of as a bad things. The sooner people change their thinking around the concept of training - meaning thinking of it as a fun game that builds relationships - the better off everyone will be.

Look at how fast Seven has figured out this game.  He's focused on me, having fun and working his brain.  Who could as for more!
 
 


And we have a distractor!  Watch Seven he sees D'light outside the gate but, this new game is a lot more interesting than what's going on behind the gate.  This focus and redirection is what we are working towards. Way to go Seven!
 



Watch the focus and remember this is Seven's first time at this training game.  And we are not yet through our 53 pieces of kibble.
 
 


And sweet Seven has figured out the game and what fun he's having.  I'm having lots of fun as well!

Watching a transformation so quickly is pretty powerful and many thanks to Seven for being such an engaged & fun training partner! 
 

 
 
**Page 65 = Plenty in Life is Free by Kathy Sdao

 
 
Stay tuned for part 3...



No comments:

Post a Comment